Thursday, December 11, 2008

The fingers know!

During another era of my life, I worked for a publishing company where I wrote about a very specific domestic environmental law, and also spent a lot of time avoiding my boss, with whom I never really had that good of a relationship, especially after I caught him looking at ahem stuff on the internet. But back to the law at hand. "My" law had a name, of course, an acronym and even a nickname. Part of the nickname was SARA, and so that was the four-letter inhouse code to talk about my book. I worked for this company for a number of years, and during that time must have typed the word SARA hundreds, if not thousands of times. As a result, typing Sara, without the all-caps, became nearly impossible.

Now I see that something similar has happened to me in Chile. I can no longer type the words child, China, Chicago, or any other chi-word without accidentally typing Chile. Children in China are Chile backspace -dren in Chile backspace backspace -na. My hands are programmed to want to type Chile and there seems to be little I can do about it.

I don't mind having a sticky word or two here and there, but I can't help but think that if I keep on accumulating weird typing tics with enough frequency, I soon won't be able to write anything new at all.

What are your typing tics? Or are SARA and I alone over here?

2 comments:

Tee said...

I have a terrible time with officer - I'm forever leaving off the r.

And you can imagine the trouble when I have to type Tee Pee (which, when living in New Mexico and involved in the eco and alternative shelters crowd, was not as rare an occasion as you might think).

Marite said...

I totally have this problem... I don't think it's just with certain words....but sometimes, I'm trying to type something, and I look at the screen and see that I have just typed words that totally are not what I meant to type...it's weird...but it's obviously that my fingers are used to typing certain words!